1.10.2013

Freezer French Toast Stix

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, please forgive me, as you’ve seen or heard of this from me before. 

I’m writing today to tell you about this little time saving task that my husband and I embark upon once every couple of months.  It saves us time 2-4 days per week in the mornings.  We make French Toast Stix for the freezer. 

Cooper eats a variety of things for breakfasts and these French Toast Stix work well many mornings.  He will eat eggs, yogurt, cereal, pancakes and toast, but he LOVES these things.  So, when I posted a picture of me during mass production to Instagram, Shelly asked me to blog about it.  So here we are.  Below is the ingredient lineup…..
When we make these things, we usually make two loaves of the Texas toast, so I’m going to give you the measurements that I use for two loaves.  Feel free to cut in half or modify at your own discretion.

Eggs – 14 of these bad boys. 
Milk – 1-1.5 cups You may want less or more depending on your tastes  (We use whole milk since that’s what Cooper drinks and that’s who is eating them)
Vanilla – 1.5 tablespoons (I don’t measure very often, I like vanilla a lot, so I use a lot)
Cinnamon –2-3 teaspoons???  - I do not measure this at all.  Since cinnamon doesn’t actually ever dissolve into the mixture, when it looks like it’s all gone from the bowl, I add more. 
Granulated Sugar – 1/3 cup  (I forgot to include in the picture, please forgive me.)

Wisk your eggies and then add the milk and vanilla and wisk them in and finally add cinnamon.  Dunk your bread and cook on hot griddle until you get the texture you want.  Below is my griddle with 8 lovely pieces of the stuff, you can also see how the cinnamon is floating at the top, silly stuff..  We cook until it’s almost dry, because it is easier to flash freeze. (more on that in a minute)



Once we have them cooked, we cut each slice into thirds, and put on a cookie sheet to flash freeze in our deep freezer.  After they are frozen enough that they won’t stick together, we put them into gallon sized ziplock bags and throw them into the freezer so that we can grab as many as Coop wants to eat. 


We simply warm them in the microwave on each side for 15 seconds at half power.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with syrup, or both!  Yummy and very fast for morning breakfasts.  Really, this entire process only takes us about a half an hour to get them all cooked and put into the freezer, we let them sit for 30-60 minutes and then bag them and freeze them again.  Easy Peasy!

For those of you with kiddos, give this a try, it makes our lives easy, and we know they are better for Coop than the ones you can buy at the store.  We tried those once and they were son darned greasy I vowed to never again buy them!!!

4 comments :

Meredith @ eatdrinkrunandbemommy said...

Yum! I am always looking for quick, easy breakfasts for Addison. Thanks for the recipe :)

Nicki said...

We don't have a deep freezer so we put them in the oven on 200 to dry them out a bit. We do this with homemade waffles too. Great post

Melanie @ 4Kottez said...

My mouth is drooling over these - yum yum yum!

Unknown said...

WOW this looks delish!!! I never thought to make them myself- I will have to do this!